Saturday, October 22, 2011

NaNoWriMo - Only 9 Days to Go!

I have heard about NaNoWriMo for many years and have contemplated joining in on this harrowing 30 days of writing that elusive novel. I just never actually took the step and signed up....at least not until this year. Back in May, I decided this was the year for me to tackle the NaNoWriMo challenge. So I joined up and now I am awaiting November 1 with excitement and that bit of fear that I think must come with the challenge. Can I really 'spit' out a novel of 50, 000 words in just 30 days? Am I dedicated enough to make sure that I write a specific number of words each day in November to ensure the goal is met? I guess we....meaning ME...will find out soon enough.

After all...if you do the math....it really doesn't seem that daunting of a task. Let us take a look:

50,000 words divided by 30 days = 1,667 words each day.

Now that really seems doable when you look at it this way. Don't you think? I may actually be able to do this!

Let us look at this another way.....If I only type about 30 words per minute (and I actually type much faster...:)

Then it would take less than one hour to type this 1,667 words each day.....this is looking better and better all the time.

I know what you must be thinking right about now.....why am I doing this if I don't believe I can get the required number words down in the time permitted. It is the challenge that I am looking for....but more than that...I want a publishable novel at the end, too!

I have been preparing for November 1, 2011 for a few months. I have laid out several possible plots with ideas of how they could play out. I let these ideas stew for a while and the ONE idea that just wouldn't let go is the one I chose for this challenge. I have been working on plotting (something I've never done). I've always just sat down and written what I wanted and it came out however it chose.

This time....I am ready!! I have my characters...what I feel are fully developed in that they feel to me like they could be real-live human beings and my theme, conflict, and resolution is all worked out....well as much as I can work it without the actual writing. I know once I begin there will be some changes. The characters will take over and make the changes whether I want them to or not. It always happens. Why should this time be any different?

Why don't you come join me on this wild, wonderful ride for the month of November. Sign up and write your own novel in 30 days. You just may become addicted!!

Come on over to NaNoWriMo and join the fun!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment